Self Introduction

 

Dear Prof Blackstone,

 

I am Nicholas Wong and I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic studying Multimedia & Infocomm Technology. During my studies in Poly, I was learning how to program websites, photo editing and video editing which was a totally different course from what I am currently studying in SIT. However, during my internship, I learned about the different machineries that helps the data centre function and wanting to learn about car engine/parts made me develop an interest in learning engineering.

 

For my strength, it would be my presentation skills as I am not afraid to present slides in front of my classmates. This skill was developed during my poly days as I also have a similar module then. During poly, they emphasize on our presentation skills which helped on developing this skill.

 

As for my weakness, it would be writing skills. I am not able to present myself very well when it comes to writing which I have been struggling with it since secondary school. I tend to struggle with writing down my thought process and expressing myself through words and I’m not a very descriptive person.


My two goals would be wanting to further improve on my presentation skills my writing skills. I hope that going through this module will help me improve on my strengths and weaknesses which can help me in the future when I’m working or when I’m communicating with people be it higher-ups/ colleagues.

 

During my internship, I was able to apply what I have learned during my poly by helping them create a website for them to be able to keep track of their equipment. And also, the workplace environment was a fast paced one as we were dealing with our client’s servers which can cost the company hugely if the problem isn’t rectified quickly. Therefore, my adaptability has improved.

 

Best regards,

Nicholas

Comments

  1. Easy to read. one improvement i can think of is moving the "during my internship" paragraph to before the strength paragraph to make it flow better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an informative letter , Nicholas. I appreciate learning about your unique journey to mechanical engineering and how it was your internship that ehlped change the direction of your study life. You also do a fairly decent job presenting your comm skills weaknesses and connecting those to your immediate needs and your module goals.

    Your language use is good in this letter but there are some issues to review:
    1. overuse of caps
    -- ...I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic studying Multimedia & Infocomm Technology. During my studies in Poly, I was learning.... > (Are so many caps needed?)

    2. verb issues
    -- ...the different machineries that helps the data.... > (subject-verb disagreement)
    -- This skill was developed during my poly days as I also have a similar module then. > (inconsistent verb tense use) ?

    3. use of pronoun referent
    -- which I have been struggling with it since secondary school. > (corrected)
    with which I have been struggling since secondary school.

    4. the use of commas for adjective clauses
    -- (for example)
    ...will help me improve on my strengths and weaknesses which can help me.... >
    (corrected)
    will help me improve on my strengths and weaknesses, which can help me...

    Let's work on these points in the spirit of improving your writing.

    Cheers,

    Brad



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog